The Australian Research Council have advised that researchers will be able to auto-populate their research output metadata into their ARC RMS person profile and applications forms.
What does this mean for researchers?
Your RMS ‘Person Profile’ will be enhanced to include your research output data. Your research output data will be harvested from ORCID by authenticating your ORCID ID in RMS and adding the ARC as a trusted party. You can also choose to enter the data using DOI or manually, or upload a BibTex file and perform a bulk upload.
Once the data is entered into your RMS person profile, it can be used to auto-populate proposals without having to manually create and update your documents each time you submit a project proposal.
Research Office staff can also insert or update ORCID data into a researcher’s profile after the ORCID ID is authenticated, and the ARC is added as trusted party. This means that Research Office staff will also be able to enter research output data at any time for their researchers.
UniSA researchers applying in the DP 2020 round or Linkage Projects are encouraged to review (or create) their ORCiD profile now and ensure their research outputs metadata in the 'Works' section is correct. We also encourage you to register your ORCiD@UniSA asap. Please email email@example.com or your Academic Library Services Team if you need assistance.
Applicants should refer to the RIS Sharepoint for all all information regarding the application process and key dates.
To import your research outputs from ORCiD into RMS, follow these steps:
Please note that steps 1-8 will get your outputs into your RMS profile, step 9 onwards will get them into the DP20 Application form.
4. Sign into your ORCiD, then you will be asked to provide RMS with the ability to Read your limited-access information, click on Authorize.
Once authorized the window can be closed, and your ORCiD account will be linked with your RMS account.
NB: If you have previously linked your ORCiD to RMS, but authorisation has not yet been given to the ARC to read the limited access information, then you will see the Upgrade ORCID access button and will need to click here to Authorise.
5. Within RMS, in the Person Profile, click on Research Outputs
6. Click on the Populate from ORCiD button.
7. The research outputs that have been imported should then display grouped by the output category. Review the citations that have been imported.
Note that RMS does not prevent duplicates flowing through. They can be deleted within RMS, and there is an option to Revive the output if you need to add it back in.
8. Check that the output categories are correct. They can be changed within RMS by clicking on the Manage Research Output Additional Details, select the appropriate category then Save
9. To then add the research outputs to the application, go to section D19. To import the outputs, click on the Search button, and select the sources from the All Sources tab.
10. To add research outputs tick the Select checkbox or Select All button, then Add selected.
11. To indicate the ten career-best research outputs, number them from 1 to 10. On saving, the ranked outputs will appear first and in order of rank
12.Research outputs relevant to the application can be marked by ticking the Relevant checkbox, this will add an * when this section is displayed in the Application PDF
13. ARC funding details are added to the research outputs in the participant's profile, or can be added by clicking the Additional details button
14. To view the research outputs PDF click on the View generated Research Outputs PDF.
Important information re the DP20 round and your research outputs (extracted from Discovery Projects Instructions to applicants for funding commencing in 2020). Please note that the same rules apply for Linkage Project aaplicants.
Section D19 (pg 27-29)
Q. Why do my citations have strange characters displaying in the reference?
A. RMS may not correctly render some characters. See the User Guide for more informaiton.
Q. Some of my outputs are not importing successfully from ORCiD into RMS, why?
A. Check the visibility settings within ORCiD, the outputs need to be showing as either Everyone (green icon) or Trusted Parties (yellow icon) for the outputs to be retrieved.
Q. The output type is not correct, how can it be fixed?
A. Sometimes if you have imported the metadata from external databases such as Scopus, Web of Science or Crossref a different output type may be assigned, for example a book chapter displays as a book. You can change the output type within RMS by changing the output category, see step 8 in the Auto-populating your RMS with ORCiD column.