Your final assessment for this course consists of:
Your report must include background information in the form of a Literature Review. This page is designed to assist you with finding information sources for your Literature Review.
A detailed description of the assessment is listed in your course outline.
A Literature Review consists of:
Your literature review should be guided by your research question. You should also identify gaps in the literature and list the questions raised by the literature.
For more information about literature reviews, see these Study Help resources from the Student Engagement Unit.
Once you decide on your finance research question or issue you will need to deconstruct it for keywords, concepts and ideas.
1. Brainstorm some keywords that relate to your research question. Think of alternative words and synonyms too.
2. Think about how you can join your keywords together to form a search term. Remember these tips:
3. Try your search term in the Library collection and databases. You may need to try different combinations and mix and match your keywords.
For more help, have a look at:
Using the search box on the Library website, try out one of the search terms you've put together:
Once you are happy with your search term (it might involve some trial and error), you can then refine the results to make them more relevant by using the 'Tweak my results' menu on the left.
One of the options is to choose to Show Only Peer-Reviewed Journals:
You can also refine by date to show more recent articles:
Once you've finished your selections, remember to Apply Filters:
The Data Sources page on your course homepage has some suggestions of databases you can use. It includes instructions on how to access them.
Here is an example of how to use Business Source Ultimate:
1. Open Business Source Ultimate from the Library Collection
2. Enter in your search terms. Note that in this database, the connectors AND, OR, and NOT are built into the search boxes, and you can add more fields to build a longer search terms.
3. Like the Library Collection, there will be a menu on the left where you can filter by date and source type. You may want to find Reports to include in your literature review, so make sure you do not limit to 'Academic Journals' if you're looking for report.
The principles for searching in the Library Collection and Business Source Ultimate can also be translated to other databases. If you need any assistance, don't hesitate to Ask The Library.
These books are recommended by your Course Coordinator in the Course Outline:
Once you have found information for your report, it is important to think about whether it is good quality and useful or your needs. Watch this short video (approx. 3 mins) to learn how to evaluate sources:
If you want to look up real company or industry data to include in your report, have a look at our Company and Industry information guide. It can help you find public and private company and industry information.
Secondary data tends to be readily available and not collected by the researcher themselves. See the links at the bottom of this box for help with finding statistics and other secondary data sources.
Other sources of secondary information will be available from your course site. There are some databases that you can use to download hard/raw data as per your research question, and analyse those data using statistical packages.
Hard data in the context of this course is any research question that relates to investments eg
Usually this information is located in the Balance Sheet of the particular resource.
Hard data may be found in sources such as DatAnalysis Premium, and Eikon / Datastream Professional. For more help with Eikon use the help available here
Refer to the document on your course site for a complete list of these and other hard data sources.
What do you do with all those references you have found? Use a bibliographic management software to store, organise and cite your references.
The Library supports the bibliographic management tool EndNote. There are also many free systems available.