In 1973, five Colleges of Advanced Education (CAEs) were established in South Australia, and a sixth in 1974.
Left-hand column (below) on this page:
Centre column on this page:
Right-hand column on this page:
Torrens CAE, initially located in Adelaide, Hindmarsh, Keswick, North Adelaide, Thebarton and Torrensville, was created by the merger of the South Australian School of Art (established in 1856) and Western Teachers College (established in 1962 to meet demand at Adelaide Teachers College).
In 1976, additional locations were added at Flinders Park and Underdale.
In 1979, Torrens CAE merged with Adelaide CAE to form Adelaide College of the Arts and Education.
Adelaide College of the Arts and Education, located in Adelaide (Kintore Avenue) and Underdale, was created by the merger of Adelaide CAE and Torrens CAE.
In 1982, Adelaide College of the Arts and Education merged with Hartley CAE, Salisbury CAE and Sturt CAE to form the South Australian CAE.
Kingston CAE, located in North Adelaide, was formerly known as Adelaide Kindergarten Teachers College, which was founded (as the Kindergarten Training College) in 1907.
In 1979, Kingston CAE merged with Murray Park CAE to form Hartley CAE.
Hartley CAE, located in North Adelaide (until 1980) and Magill, was created by the merger of Kingston CAE and Murray Park CAE.
In 1982, Hartley CAE merged with Adelaide College of the Arts and Education, Salisbury CAE and Sturt CAE to form the South Australian CAE.