Centre column on this page:
The Training School for teachers was established in 1876, and operated at various locations in Adelaide, finally settling at Kintore Avenue. Over the following decades the school underwent a number of name changes:
To meet increasing demand, Wattle Park Teachers College branched off from Adelaide Teachers College in 1957, followed in 1962 by Western Teachers College.
Left-hand column (below) on this page:
Further teachers colleges were established in 1966 (Bedford Park Teachers College) and 1968 (Salisbury Teachers College).
Bedford Park Teachers College was originally located partly within Flinders University's School of Social Sciences, and partly within a Sturt Road annex. At the end of 1967, the college moved to its own buildings in Bedford Park, adjacent to the university.
In 1973, Bedford Park Teachers College became Sturt College of Advanced Education.
Salisbury Teachers College was initially temporarily located within buildings of the Adelaide Teachers College, at Kintore Avenue, Adelaide. From mid-1969, the college was located in its new buildings at Smith Road, Salisbury East.
In 1973, Salisbury Teachers College became Salisbury College of Advanced Education.
Adelaide Teachers College was located at Kintore Avenue, Adelaide.
In 1973, Adelaide Teachers College became Adelaide College of Advanced Education.
Wattle Park Teachers College was located on Kensington Road, Wattle Park.
In 1973, Wattle Park Teachers College became Murray Park College of Advanced Education. At that time, the college relocated to St Bernard's Road, Magill.
Western Teachers College was originally located in Adelaide (Currie Street) and Thebarton (South Road), which until 1962 were annexes of the Adelaide Teachers College.
The Kindergarten Training College was established in Adelaide in 1907, operating initially at Franklin St. The college moved to East Tce in 1913, then Archer St in 1915.
Later in 1915, the college moved to Palmer Place in North Adelaide, where it stayed until 1961, when it relocated to Childers Street.
From 1967, the college was known as Adelaide Kindergarten Teachers College.
In 1974, Adelaide Kindergarten Teachers College became Kingston College of Advanced Education.