The South Australian School of Mines and Industries (SASMI) was founded in 1889, initially housed in the Exhibition Building on North Terrace.
In 1903, SASMI relocated to the newly-opened Brookman Building. At the same time, the SASMI Preparatory School was established (see below).
In 1960, SASMI was renamed the South Australian Institute of Technology.
In 1903, the SASMI Preparatory School was founded in the Brookman Building, to prepare students for further study at SASMI.
The school's name was changed to the Junior Technical School in 1914, and then to Adelaide Technical High School in 1918.
In 1963, the school moved to a new site in Glenunga, and became the responsibility of the SA Department of Education.