Location: Offsite Warehouse and online
Access: To access the collection search the Library Catalogue and place a hold on the required item. Where the item is also available on campus, please place a hold on the campus copy. The item will be retrieved from the repository and sent to the nominated campus (expected retrieval time is 48 hours).
Loan: 4 weeks with no renewals
The University Publications Collection contains published material associated with the University. There are three collections: staff publications, university publications and a thesis collection.
Staff publications: The staff publications collection is an archival collection of publications by University staff.
University publications: The University publications collection includes annual reports, graduation programs, newspapers, journals, working papers, union newspapers, staff and student publications, photographs and building plans.
Thesis collection: A print copy of each research higher degree thesis completed at the University is included in this collection. Wherever possible, a digital copy of each thesis is also stored in the Research Outputs Repository.
The collection does not include administrative material, teaching material, exam papers, internal papers and reports and Honours theses.
The digital component of this collection is available via the Research Outputs Repository.
The collection was originally named for Mr David Murray, who was an Adelaide merchant, politician and philanthropist. In 1903 Murray donated £500 to enable the School of Mines to establish a library, which was named after him. The School of Mines later became the South Australian Institute of Technology, which in 1991 became part of the University of South Australia.
David Murray was born in 1829 in Scotland. In 1853 he moved to South Australia with his brother William. Together they set up a drapery store in Gilbert Place, Adelaide. Over the years the business expanded and moved to a five-storey premises on Gawler Place and had eight other branches throughout Australia.
Murray was a well-known local politician. He served in the House of Assembly and later, the Legislative Council, where he held his seat from 1882 to 1891.
Murray moved to London in 1900 and died in 1907, leaving money to Adelaide churches, libraries and to fund university scholarships.
In 2014 the collection was renamed to the University Publications Collection to reflect the content of the collection more accurately. Items in this collection are still prefixed with DM in the catalogue.